Friday, May 19, 2006

Lighthouses

Everyone seems to love lighthouses. Although I grew up inland and only made occasional visits to the ocean growing up, I also am drawn to lighthouses. For me, it is the unique architectural design and the thought that not too long ago these were the main safety system for brave mariners. I recently was in DC (one of my favorite cities) and during a search through the Smithsonian website, I came upon this little corner:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/lighthouses/browse_region.cfm?state=ME

The neat part about the site is the old postcards and up-to-date facts on each lighthouse.


Here is one example - Pemaquid Point which is now on the Maine state quarter. If any of you are interested in a very nice print of Pemaquid Point with a Maine state quarter in the matte around it, post here. I have connections... (:

L.

No comments: